Neurology Clinic in Dallas-Fort Worth
In a nutshell, Botox treatment:
- Prevents headaches and migraines before they even start. Botox prevents on average 8 or 9 headache days and migraine/probable migraine days a month at 24 weeks.
- Is given every 12 weeks. It will take 2 treatments, 12 weeks apart to determine how well Botox is working for you. If you don’t get treated every12 weeks, you may not get the full benefit of Botox.
- Involves the use of a tsmall needle. People say that the injections feel like tiny pinpricks.
- Is carried out by one of our Botox specialists; all of our doctors are experienced in treatment with Botox.
- Takes about 15 minutes and are done right in your doctor's office
- Is an injection of a steroid or an equivalent medication around the greater and lesser occipital nerves located on the back of the head just above the neck area.
- Reduces the inflammation and swelling of tissue around the occipital nerves.
- Reduces pain, and other symptoms caused by inflammation or irritation of the nerves and surrounding structures.
- Are used for certain types of tension headaches and migraine headaches.
- Only takes a few minutes to complete.
Immediately afterwards you will rest for a while in the office, and be monitored by our physicians. For most patients, the steroid starts working in about 3 to 5 days and its effect can last for several days to a few months. Unlike Botox, the injections are done about one week apart only if needed. If the first injection does not relieve your symptoms within two weeks, you may be recommended to have a second injection. Then, if you respond to the injections, you may be recommended for additional injections when the symptoms return.
If you have any questions or would like to schedule an appointment with Foundation Physicians Group, contact us today!